The Ancient Parish of PRESTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"PRESTON, a parish in the wapentake of Holderness, and liberties of St. Peter and Holderness; 1 mile N. of Hedon. The church, of which the Rev. John Dixon is vicar, and the Sub-dean of York patron, is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph). Here is a public school, erected in October 1718, and endowed with the moiety of the rent of 20 acres of land, which is annually let to the best bidder, in pursuance of the will of Thomas Holme, the other moiety is given for the benefit of the poor of the township, at the discretion of the minister and church wardens. Here are chapels for the Methodists and Primitive Methodists. Pop. 828."
"LELLEY, in the parish of Preston, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1¾ miles NE. of Preston, 4 miles NE. of Hedon. Pop. 119."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Preston in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Preston.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Preston to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA190305 (Lat/Lon: 53.757279, -0.196506), Preston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I War Memorial and Roll of Honour at All Saints, Preston
- A transcription of the School Timetables, around 1902-3 in Adobe pdf format.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish