Hide

Preston, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide
Hide

PRESTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"PRESTON, a parish partly in the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, and partly in the middle division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Lelley and Preston, and containing 947 inhabitants, of which number, 828 are in the township of Preston, 7 miles N.E. from Kingston upon Hull. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Hedon, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Sub- Dean of York, rated in the king's books at £12, and endowed with £200 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is in the later style of English architecture. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. Thomas Holmes, in 1718, gave £200 to support of a school, which sum was laid out in land, now producing an annual income of about £27, for which twenty-seven children are educated."


"LELLEY, a township in the parish of PRESTON, middle division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles E.N.E. from Kingston upon Hull, containing 119 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]