Area, 1,680 acres. Dickering wapentake. -Population, 234 ; Church-room, sufficient ; Net value, £177. -This was anciently a Chapel belonging to Hunmanby, and given therewith to the Abbey of Bardney, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein in 1269. The Smiths presented from 1739 to 1768. No further entries.
Patron and impropriator, Sir George Strickland, Bart.
Valued in the King's books at £9. 9s. 10d., after deducting for Synodals 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 411, it is stated : " Vicarage worth £30 per annum."
Augmented in 1803, with £200 by lot ; and, in 1826, with £300, £300, and £300, all from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefaction of houses and lands worth £600 from Sir William Strickland, Bart.
" The Vicarage belongs to the mother church of Hunmanby : two-thirds of the tithe corn, hay, and lamb, are impropriated to Ed. Hutchinson, Esq.; one-third the Vicarage is endowed with. It is also endowed with all the tithe wool, Easter book, and the small tithes. The yearly value of the Vicarage is about £26 per annum. The advowson belongs to Mr. Hutchinson." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 869.
An Inclosure Act was passed 51st Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1559.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Bridlington.
Torre's MS., page 925. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 227. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Rictone,) pages 30. 57. Prickett's Bridlington, page 56.