"REIGHTON, (or Righton), a parish in the wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 3 miles S.E. of Hunmanby, 6 miles N.W. of Bridlington, and 2 from the Sputon railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the roadleading from Bridlington to Scarborough, and near the coast. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The parish is bounded on the E. by Filey Bay, where it commands views of the German Ocean. There are several limestone quarries. The tithes were commuted for land and corn rents under an Enclosure Act in 1811, and the glebe consists of about 70 acres. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £177. The church is an ancient structure with a low brick tower containing two bells. Thededication is unknown. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Reighton Hall, the principal residence, is of ancient date, and is situated near the village. Admiral Mitford is lord of the manor."