[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"RICCALL, a parish in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, liberties of Howdenshire and St. Peter's; 10 miles S. of York. The church is dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), and the living which is a discharged vicarage, is in the gift of the prebendary of Riccall. There is at this place an endowed school, for teaching twelve poor children to read. The village of Riccall is situated near the river Ouse, and is memorable as the landing place of Hardrada, king of Norway, in 1066.* Here are two manors in this parish, one of them belonging to the Prebendary, and the other to the Bishop of Durham. On the west of the village and impending on the banks of the river are the magnificent remains of the episcopal manor-house of La. Well Hall; and the mansion is surrounded by three broad moats, the river being the western boundary. About fifty years ago when the land in this village first came into cultivation, several entire skulls were dug up in good preservation, and a rough flag four feet square with a cross barbarously sculptured was found here, and at present forms part of the pavement of the parish church. The population of this village now amounts to 599.
* See vol. II. page 21."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Riccall in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Riccall.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Riccall to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE620379 (Lat/Lon: 53.833668, -1.0594), Riccall which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial in St. Mary's Churchyard, Riccall.
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish