Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: RICCALL. Church dedication: ST. MARY. Church type: Discharged Vicarage.
(Peculiar.) Area, 2,470 acres. Ouse and Derwent wapentake *1. -Population, 705 ; Church-room, 750; Net value, £95. -In the town of Riccall are three carucates of land, one whereof is held by the bishop of Durham, who holds it of the King in capite, and the other two carucates are held of St. Peter's, York.
So the Prebendary is Lord of the town, hath there his manor, demesne, lands and woods, a wind and water mill, a piscary upon Ouse, called Cledmer, and several oxgangs of freehold land, tenements, cottages, and tofts, held of him by certain rents and services, over which he hath jurisdiction in spiritual causes, and also of the whole town.
He hath likewise 60 acres of pasture common for his men with those of the Bishop of Durham.
The Church was an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Prebendary of Riccall, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 10th Kal. September 1316.
There was a Chantry at the altar of St. James, and another at the altar of St. Nicholas.
Patron and Impropriator, the Prebendary of Riccall.
Valued in the King's books, at £6; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. p. 310, 505, it is stated : " Vicarage, £13. 6s. 8d.; Impropriation, £50." -" Vicarage worth £20. All small tithes ;" -and in 1818 at £50 per annum.
Augmented in 1816. with £1,000 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.
26th July 1826, faculty to re-roof and repair the church.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register books commence in 1613: but a great part of the first book is illegible. Chasm 1670-1700. Vide transcripts in the Prebendal Registry.
Robert Fletcher's rent charge of £30. 6s. 8d. per annum.
Robert Foster's rent charge, in 1611. 5s. per annum.
Christopher Consett's rent charge, in 1614. 20s. per annum.
Ann Storey's rent charge, in 1695. 24s. per annum.
All the above sums are distributed among the poor, by the Minister and church-wardens, the two first in money, and the other in bread. Other rents-charge (two annual payments of 8s; and 12s.) are received by the overseers, and distributed by them in money.
Poor's Estate, given 11th William III. by Mary and Elizabeth Newsome. 6a. 1r. of land, let, at the time of the Report, for £18. 12s. per annum. The rent of 2 acres, part of the above, called Damme Close, is appropriated to the binding out poor children apprentices, and the residue of the rents is applied to the relief of poor persons in various ways, with a preference to those who do not receive any parochial assistance.
Poor's Cattle-gates. These are two in number, enjoyed in rotation with other tenements, and are charged with an ancient payment thereout of 10s. per annum. The gates are let to the highest bidder, and the clear rent is distributed along with the poor's estate.
Rev. Robert Turie's charity, by will, dated 19th May 1720. £40 for teaching six of the poorest children to read English. The Vicar to nominate the children and master. In 1791, a school was established by subscription, and a house and school-room were built ; and to which are added a garden, and two gates in the Hineing Marsh, in rotation, as above mentioned. A legacy of £40 left by Susannah Wilkes, and 30s. raised by subscription, were invested in stock, and produced a yearly dividend of £3. 18s., which is paid to the schoolmaster, as is also the interest.
George Newsham's gift. Interest of £32 given about the year 1790, for teaching 12 poor children to read and write.
Hineing and Gosling Marsh Estates. 10s. per annum, the produce of two pasture gates, appropriated to the repairs of the Church. -Vide 10th Report, p. 668.
Post town: Selby.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 837. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. iii. page 55. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Ricalf, Richale), pages 24. 46. 62.
*1 Partly in St. Peter Liberty.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.