RICCALL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"RICCALL, a parish partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, and partly in the wapentake of OUZE-and-DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.E. from Selby, containing 599 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Riccall in the Cathedral Church of York, rated in the king's books at £6, and endowed with £1000 parliamentary grant. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Twelve poor children are taught to read in. a school erected by subscription in 1791, and supported by voluntary contributions, in addition to several trifling bequests amounting to about £6 per annum. The village, situated on the banks of the Ouse, is noted as the landing-place of the Danes under Harfager their king, in 1066, from a fleet of six hundred sail. Here are the remains of a once magnificent palace of the diocesan, encompassed by a triple moat. Seven human skulls and a rough flag-stone, with a sculptured cross, were discovered here several years ago."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]