Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: SCAMPSTON.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.

Buckrose wapentake. -Population, 231, vide Rillington *1; Church-room, 300; Net value, £59.

Patron, the Vicar of Rillington.

Augmented in 1766, with £200; in 1783, with £200; in 1790, with £200; in 1810, with £200 from the Parliamentary grant ; in 1817, with £200 from the same grant ; in 1820, with £200; and in 1826, with £200 -all by lot.

In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 424, it is recommended that the Chapel be taken away, and the parish united to Rillington.

No glebe house.

The Register Books for baptisms commence in 1783, and for marriages in 1756. Burials take place at Rillington. -Vide transcripts of earlier registers at York.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Malton.


References:
Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Scameston), pages 32. 186. 233. Burton's Monasticon, pages 75. 336. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 127. Not noticed by Torre. Eastmead's Rie-vallensia, page 252.


Notes:
*1 The Population in 1834 was stated to be 260.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.