Hide

RILLINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"RILLINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of BUCKROSE, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Scampston, and the township of Rillington, and containing 883 inhabitants, of which number, 683 are in the township of Rillington, 3 miles E.N.E. from New Malton. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £8. 14. 9., endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists."


"SCAMPSTON, a chapelry in the parish of RILLINGTON, wapentake of BUCKROSE, East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles E.N.E. from New Malton, containing 200 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Rillington."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]