RILLINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"RILLINGTON, a parish, and township in the wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of New Malton, its post town, 6½ from Pickering, and three quarters of a mile from the station on the Malton and Scarborough line of railway. The parish is bounded on the N. by the navigable river Derwent. The village is situated near the Scarborough railway, and on the old high road leading from Scarborough to York. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture, about three-fourths of the land being arable, and the rest pasture. The soil is of a sandy and loamy description, upon a subsoil of gravel. The parish comprises the village of Scampston. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £256. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has a square embattled tower containing two bells. There is also a district church at Scampston, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £80, in the patronage of the Vicar of Rillington. There is a National school for both sexes, and a Sunday-school is held within the same building. The Wesleyans, Independents, and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. There is also a newsroom recently opened."
"SCAMPSTON, a township and chapelry in the parish of Rillington, wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of New Malton, its post town, and 1½ mile from Rillington railway station, on the York and Scarborough line of railway. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The surface, which is level, is bounded on the N. by the navigable river Derwent. The soil consists of a sandy loam upon a subsoil of clay and gravel. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £80, in the patronage of the Vicar of Rillington. The church is of recent erection. There is a National school for both sexes. Scampston Hall, the principal residence, is situated in an extensive park. William St. Quintin, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole land owner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013