Hide

RILLINGTON: Rillington Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

RILLINGTON.*
(CONGREGATIONAL.)

Preaching was commenced in the house of Mr. Jackson, July 24, 1815, and the Independent church at Malton supplied preachers. A barn was afterwards fitted up, and finally a small chapel, which was opened July 23, 1818.

The ministers of this chapel have been the following:-

  • 1823. Rev. GEORGE SYKES, who had been a member of the Wesleyan body. Mr. S. died on his birthday, 1826.
  • 1827. Rey. JOSEPH REDMAYNE. He left for Bishop Auckland, 1828.
  • 1829. Rey. WILLIAM HAGUE. Left for Elland, 1831.
  • 1831. Rev. ROBERT S. WATSON. He resigned 1831.
  • 1832. Rev. JOHN DAVIS. Resigned 1832.
  • 1834. Rev. W. MCDOWELL. Removed to Kirkby Moorside.
  • -- Rev. WILLIAM AYRE. Removed to Southham, 1844.
  • 1844. Rev. HENRY HOWARD. Left for Whittlesea, 1847.
  • 1848. Rev. GEORGE THOMAS. Left for Stokesbridge.
  • -- Rev. -- MALLARD. Retired from the ministry
  • 1856. Rev. NATHANIEL WOODCOCK. Left in 1866.
  • 1867. Rev. JAMES MILLS (from tuition of Rev. M. Mays, Ashby-de-la-Zouch), the present minister (in 1868).

NOTES:-
* Aided by Rev. J. Mills.


Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.