Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: ROOS. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 2,190 acres. Holderness wapentake, M.D. - Population, 430 *1; Church-room, 300 *2; Net value, £602. -Here was a Church and a priest at the time of the Norman Survey.
This is an ancient Rectory, formerly in the patronage of the Prior and Convent of Kirkham, which Monastery had out of it an annual pension of two marks, which was confirmed to them by Archbishop Walter Gray, 3rd Non. February, A.D. 1223. The Advowson was given by Queen Elizabeth to the Lord Burghley, in whose family it continued till 1776, when Mark Kirkby, Esq. presented, since which the presentation has been in the family of the Sykes's, Baronets.
Patron, the Rev. C. Sykes.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £15. 6s. 8d.; Pens. Prioris. de Kirkham in eadem, £2; in the King's books, at £19 per annum ; Synodals, 4s. 6d.; Prior of Kirkham, 40s.; Church of Beverley, £3. 12s. 8d.; and Procurations, 7s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 247, at £90 per annum.
25th July 1835, faculty to rebuild a gallery.
An Inclosure Act was passed 23rd Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1571. Deficient 1602 to 1607, and 1612 to 1620.
George Green's charity, by will, dated 18th August 1671. rent charge of 10s. per annum to the poor on new year's day. There are also two other rent charges of 6s. 8d. each;. one by Reginald Marriott, by surrender, in 1675, and the other by a person unknown, paid at Whitsuntide, and distributed as above.
Town's Stock. This consists of the sum of £6, the amount of two benefactions, one of them by a person named William Gibson, which had been in the hands of the successive overseers of the poor at interest, until the Easter preceding the Report, when the Commissioners reported it was expended for the use of the parish. The interest used to be added to the sacrament. money, and it had been recommended that it should henceforth be raised out of the parish rates, and applied in the same manner as before.
Thomas Dixon's charity. rent charge of £1. 8s. per annum, for bread for poor persons most in need who attend the Church ; twelve penny loaves on each of the four sacrament-days, and six penny loaves on each Sunday besides through the year.
Church Lands. This property, of which the acquisition is unknown, consists of the rents of 8a. 1r. of land, two houses, rents-charge of 2s. 8d. per annum, and the interest of £30 on personal security. The annual rents and interest amount to £19. 14s. 8d., which, after deducting the rent of a dwelling-house and croft, occupied by Christopher Wright, (who, being a poor man employed about the Church, his rent is returned,) is applied by the churchwardens with the church-rates. -Vide 9th Report, page 773.
Post town: Pattrington.
Torre's MS., page 1521. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 165. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Rosse), pages 175. 184; (Hostewic), 175.
*1 Viz. Rooss and part of Oustwick; remainder in Garton parish. -In 1834, the population was returned at 550.
*2 Estimated at 400 in 1818.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.