Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: ROUTH. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 2,290 acres. Holderness wapentake, N.D. -Population, 119 *1; Church-room, sufficient *2; Net value, £470. -The Church of Ruda, or Routh, is an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Rosses of Routh, knights, for many generations, and from them descended to the Hillyards, knights.
Patronesses, the Misses Ellerker.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £6. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, at £8. 17s. per annum, after deducting for Synodals 3s., Procurations 3s. 6d., and Thraves, &c., £2. 2s. 9d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 285, at £66. 19s. 5½d. per annum.
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, on account of " its ruinous condition ;" but in 1834 was returned fit for residence.
The Register Books for marriages commence in 1633, and for baptisms and burials in 1639.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Beverley.
Torre's MS., page 1495. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 170. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Rute), page 176. Burton's Monasticon, page 238.
*1 In 1834, the population was returned at 91.
*2 In 1818, the return was 200.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.