ROUTH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"ROUTH, a parish in the N. division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Beverley, its railway station and post town. The village, which is small and straggling, is situated on the road from Beverley to Bridlington and Hornsea. The inhabitants are wholly agricultural. The soil consists chiefly of loam upon clay. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £470. The church, dedicated to Allhallows, has a low tower containing one bell. The interior of the church contains three stone stalls and a broken double canopied brass of Sir J. Routh, being dated 1420. Lord Londesborough is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013