Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: ROWLEY.     Church dedication: ST. PETER.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 7,440 acres. Harthill wapentake. Hunsley Beacon. -Population, 501 *1; Church-room, 350; Net value, £1,465. -" An ancient Rectory, of the patronage of the Stutevills, from them of the Lords Wake, and from them of the Earls of Salisbury, afterwards to the Barringtons of Essex.

Patroness, Mrs. Hildyard.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £46. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, at £20. 1s. 8d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 349, at £153. 6s. 8d. per annum. It was recommended that Wheatley and Woodhouse, in South Cave and Cottingham, should be annexed to Rowley.

An Inclosure Act was passed 41st Geo. III. (Little Weeton and Riplingham.)

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1653.

Charities:
Mrs. Nancy Hildyard's and Mrs. Wakefield's Charities. £10. 10s. and £20. The interest is laid out, together with the sacrament money, in the purchase of bread, which is distributed on Sundays during winter to poor persons, at the discretion of the churchwardens. -Vide 11th Report, page 742.

Post town: South Cave.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1103. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 52. Wood's Tithe Cases, vol. iv. page 361 (Croft a. Ayer, and Walter v. Bradshaw).


Notes:
*1 Viz. Rowley, 451 ; and Wauldby, 50. In 1834, the Population was returned at 451, which is probably exclusive of Wauldby.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.