Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: RUDSTON. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 5,060 acres. Dickering wapentake. -Population, 518 ; Church-room, 360 *1; Net value, £236. -The Prior of Bridlington held four carucates of Richard de Thornay, and he held them of Richard de Luterell, and he of the King for one knight's fee.
The Church was given to the Abbey of St. Mary's, York, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 12th May 1354, but altered 2nd December 1355. In 1661, Sir Francis Boynton presented. The presentation is now in the Archbishop of York.
Impropriator, Sir Henry Boynton, Bart.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £44; new taxation, £30. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, the Vicarage was valued at £9. 13s. 6d. per annum, after deducting for Synodals 4s., and Procurations 7s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 408, it is stated : " Rudston, Thorpe, and Easthorpe impropriate, the parish Church situate at Rudston. Impropriator, Sir Francis Boynton ; the value, £140; the value of the Vicarage yearly £45; Mr. Grantham preaching minister."
An Inclosure Act was passed 14th Geo. III'.
The glebe house is unfit for residence, vide return in 1834. In 1818, it was returned fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1717. -Vide transcripts of earlier registers at York.
There are no Charities now subsisting in this parish. John Harrison, by will, dated 13th November 1607, confirmed the grant of a rent charge of 20s. per annum, granted by deed, dated 20th September, 5th James I., out of land at Rudston ; but no traces are to be found of any payment of such rent charge, and the specific property made liable cannot be ascertained. -Vide 9th Report, page 739.
Post town: Bridlington.
Torre's MS., page 969. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 230. Bodleian MSS.. Nos. 5101, and 7063. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Rodestan), pages 82. 187. 233. 238. Burton's Monasticon, page 238. Mon. Angl., vol. iii. pages 536. 571. Prickett's Bridlington, page 56. Cole's Filey, page 153. Archaeologia, vol. v. page 95. " The stone in the church-yard," says Dr. Pegge, " stands about four yards from the south-east corner of the Church: its depth under ground is equal to its height above, as appeared by an experiment made by the late Mr. William Strickland." Dr. Pegge supposed that the stone was a Danish funeral monument. It stands above 24 feet above ground, is 5 feet 10 inches in breadth, and is 2 feet 3 inches in thickness. Its weight is computed to be 46 tons.
*1 Estimated in 1818 at 400.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.