[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SANCTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 2½ miles SE. of Market Weighton. The church is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), and the living, which is in the gift of J. Broadley, Esq. is enjoyed by the Rev. Thomas Atkinson vicar. There is a public charity school at this place for the education of 45 boys and girls, and endowed by Lady Vavasour with £20. per ann. There is a Catholic chapel in the East wing of Houghton hall for public worship, of which the Rev. James Wrennel is minister. Pop. with Houghton, 334."
"HESSLESKEW GRANGE, f.h. in the township and parish of Sancton; 1¾ miles ENE. of Sancton, 4 miles from Market-Weighton."
"NORTH CLIFFE, in the parish of Sancton, and wapentake of Harthill; 2¼ miles SW. of Sancton, 3 miles S. of Market Weighton. Pop. 89."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Sancton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Sancton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sancton to another place.
- For a detailed map of this parish see this parish boundaries map.
- For a more detailed map of the parishes in the riding please see the Yorkshire parish maps page.
- For a more detailed map of the county please see the Yorkshire map page.
- Here is a map showing the wapentakes for the county.
- The 1842 Tithe maps (2 sheets) and associated apportionment documents (bound together) are held by the Borthwick Institute of Historical Research at York.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE901393 (Lat/Lon: 53.842142, -0.632127), Sancton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish