Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: SANCTON.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 4,890 acres. Harthill wapentake. Hunsley Beacon. -Population, 462 *2; Church-room, 150 *3; Net value, £49. -In Sancton was a Church and a priest, at the time of the Norman Survey.

The Church was anciently a Rectory of two medieties, which were consolidated by Archbishop Walter Gray in 1251, of which the Priory of Watton had the patronage, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 5th Id. July 1310.

Patron and impropriator, John Broadley, Esq.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £20; in the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £6. 1s. 10d.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 357, at £6. 13s. 4d.; and in 1818, at £58. 12s. 4d. per annum.

Augmented in 1745, with £200; in 1756, with £200; in 1792, with £200; and in 1830, with £200 -all by lot.

There was an unreported decree in the Exchequer, in Easter Term, 1st Jac. I., as to tithes of North Cliffe.

An Inclosure Act was passed 9th Geo. III.

The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, being " only a little low cottage ;" and also returned " unfit," in 1834.

The Register Books commence in 1538 ; deficient from 1641 to 1717 inclusive.

Charity:
The Free School, founded by Marmaduke Langdale, by will, dated 1st August 1609, for the instruction of poor children in reading, writing, and accounts. The number of scholars, at the time of the Report, were about thirty. The schoolmaster to be an University man, either of Oxford or Cambridge, a graduate, and a preacher of the word of God ; for which, and the teaching the scholars, he receives the sum of £20. -Vide 11th Report, page 742.

Post town: Market Weighton.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1123. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 38. Wood's Bodleian MS., No. 5101. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Santone), pages 14. 155. 193. 238; (Houeton, Haltun), 12. 155. 193; (Cline), 12. 238. Mon. Ang., vol. vi. page 957. Burton's Monasticon, page 198.


Notes:
*1 Now held as a Perpetual Curacy. There have been no institutions, says Archbishop Sharp, since 1549.

*2 Viz. North Cliffe, 85 ; and Sancton and Houghton, 377. -In 1834, the Population was returned at 470.

*3 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 412.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.