Area, 4,780 acres. Buckrose wapentake. -Population, 522 *1; Church-room, 150 *2; Net value, £661. -This Church was anciently in the patronage of the Lords Wake, of Lyddel, from them it came to the Crown, by whom it was granted to the Archbishop of York in the time of Henry VIII. The Archbishop collated only once (1585), but ever since the Crown has presented, and the patronage is exercised by the prime minister ; and, in the opinion of Archbishop Sharp, the right of presentation was lost to the See for the want of looking after. The Rector had sometimes a Vicar under him.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £36. 13s. 4d., and in his new taxation at £23. 6s. 8d.; in the King's Books at £21. 11s. 10d.; Synodals, 5s.; Procurations, 7s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 433, at £100 per annum. " Howsham to be made a parish of itself and united to Kirkham. The tithes of Howsham now paid are £20 *3. The Cure of the Chapel of Leppington is worth yearly £26."
An Inclosure Act was passed 6th Geo. IV.
A faculty was granted in 1775, to rebuild the Rectory barn.
28th September 1811, ditto to re-pew and repair the Church.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1648.
Anonytnous dole. 8s. 4d. per annum is paid out of a field called Bearcroft, but the Commissioners could not discover the origin of this gift. It is given away among the poor at Christmas.
John Rayney's charity, in 1717. £50 for apprenticing poor children. Now lost. -Vide 11th Report, page 718.
Post town: York.
Torre's MS. page 759. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. ii. page 114. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Escraingham), pages 201. 204; (Huson), pages 83, 84.
*1 Viz. Howsham, 240; Leppington, 118; and Scrayingham. 164. In 1834, the Population was returned at 530.
*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 320.
*3 "The lands called Thomas's-Farm pay a modus of 7s. 6d. a year, and the lands called Taylor's Farm, a modus of 10s. a year in lieu of the tithes thereof. Zouch v. Hudson." 4 Wood, page 555. >" The tithes of the water corn mill, in the township of Howsham, erected on the site of Howsham Mill, are a portion of tithes in gross, separate and distinct from the Rectory. Zouch v. Hudson." 4 Wood, page 558. > " The Rector is only entitled to a modus of £6 a year, in lieu of the tithes of certain lands in the township of Howsham. Zouch v. Hudson." 4 Wood, page 560. >"The third part of all the tithes of certain lands, except a close called the Ox Close, and two-thirds of the tithes of the lands called the High Gamsters, the Middle Gamsters, the Low Gamsters, the Great Ings, and the Little Ings, are a portion of tithes in gross, distinct from the Rectory. Zouch v. Hudson." 4 Wood, page 560. >"The Rector is entitled to the tithe of the Ox Close, and other lands in the parish in kind. Zouch v. Hudson." 4 Wood, page 560. >These decisions were all previous to the inclosure.