SCRAYINGHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"SCRAYINGHAM, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 11 miles N.E. of York, its post town, and 5 from the Kirkham station on the York and Scarborough line of railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Derwent, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the townships of Howsham, Leppington, and Scrayingham. The soil consists of clay, but has been much improved by cultivation. About two-thirds of the land are arable, and the remainder pasture and woodland. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1825. The living is a rectory* with the perpetual curacy of Leppington annexed, in the diocese of York, value £661, in the patronage of the crown. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a modern structure with a turret containing two bells. The interior of the church contains a Caen stone font. There is a chapel-of-ease at Leppington. In the village is a National school for both sexes. Howsham Hall and Aldby Park are the principal residences."
"HOWSHAM, a township and village in the parish of Scrayingham, wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 8 miles S.W. of Malton, and 2 miles from the Barton Hill station on the York and Malton railway. It is also a station on the Lincoln, Market Rasen, and Hull railway. The village is small, and situated on the river Derwent. The river is crossed by a stone bridge at the entrance of the village. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. Here is a school, supported by Colonel George Cholmley. The principal residence is Howsham Hall, a building in the Elizabethan style of architecture, and of quadrangular construction, surmounted by a cornice. Howsham was formerly part of the estate belonging to Kirkham Priory, and was granted to the Eire family at the Reformation, from whom it passed to Thomas Bamburgh, who built the present mansion of the materials of the old priory."
"LEPPINGTON, a township in the parish of Scrayingham, wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 8 miles S.W. of New Malton, its post town, and 2 from Scrayingham. It is a small agricultural village situated near the river Derwent. Gypsum is found here, and about 18 inches below the surface is a stratum of petrified marine shells. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory* of Scrayingham, in the diocese of York. The church is ancient, and formerly was a chantry to Missenden. Lord de Grey is lord of the manor and sole landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013