Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Buckrose - County Council Electoral Division of Bishop Wilton - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Pocklington - Rural Deanery of Pocklington - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish lies on the eastern side of the Derwent, and includes the townships of Scrayingham, Howsham, and Leppington, containing a total area of 4,891 acres, and 388 inhabitants, In Scrayingham township there are 1,560 acres, of which 1,495 are under assessment, and are valued for rating purposes at £1,475. The population in 1891 was 121. The surface is strong clay land and the subsoil clay; the chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips, peas, and beans. Henry Darley Esq., of Spaunton Lodge, Kirby Moorside, who is lord of the manor, and the Rev. Sir G. W. Cox, in right of his church, are the principal landowners. The inhabitants vote in the Bishop Wilton division for the election of a County Councillor for the East Riding.
The village, anciently called Skeringham, is situated nine miles south-west from Malton, eleven miles north-east from York, and four miles north from Stamford Bridge station, on the York, Market Weighton, and Beverley branch of the North-Eastern railway. The church of St. Peter is an edifice of stone in the Gothic style, rebuilt in 1853, at the expense of the late Colonel Cholmley. It consists of chancel, nave with south aisle, south porch, and western bell turret. There are stained-glass memorial windows to the Hudson and other families. Some of the carved stones of the old church have been built into the wall of the vestry. The living is a rectory, net value £570, derived from tithe rent-charge £410, and 258 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Crown, and held by the Rev. Sir George William Cox, Bart., M.A., of Trinity College, Oxford.
There is a National school in the village, erected in 1848, for the accommodation of 40 children It is supported by a voluntary rate and government grant. There are 27 in average attendance.
HOWSHAM township contains 2,150 acres of land, situated on the east bank of the Derwent. The surface is undulated; the soil varies from strong clay to light loam and sand, with a subsoil of clay, sand and limestone. Barley and turnips are the chief crops, but a large portion of land is laid down in pasture, and numbers of cattle and horses are bred. The township is valued for rating purposes at £2,284, and the number of inhabitants in 1891 was 199. Sir Charles William Strickland, Bart., of Boynton Hall, who is lord of the manor, and the Rev. Charles Best Norcliffe, of Langton Hall, are the principal landowners. The inhabitants vote in the Leavening division for the election of a County Councillor.
The village consists of a single row of houses, seven-and-a-half miles southby-west of Malton, and three miles south-east from Barton Hill station, on the York, Scarborough, and Whitby branch of the North-Eastern Railway. A chapel-of-ease was erected here in 1860, by Mrs. Cholmley, in memory of her husband and three children. It is a handsome cut-stone structure in the Gothic style, consisting of a spacious chancel, nave, north transept, west porch, and tower containing four bells. The chancel, which is divided from the nave by an elegant trefoil arch, is lighted by four stained-glass windows representing scenes in the life of Christ. The floor is laid with encaustic tiles, and behind the communion table is a carved stone reredos in three compartments, artistically inlaid with mosaic work. Most of the windows of the nave are filled with stained-glass. The font is a handsome piece of work, circular in design, and ornamented by inlaid marble of various colours. The National school was rebuilt by the late Colonel Cholmley, in 1852. It is mixed and attended by 22 children.
HOWSHAM HALL, the property of Sir Charles W. Strickland, Bart., and residence of Harry Walter Cholmley, Esq., J.P., C.C., D.L., is a large and handsome mansion in the Elizahethan style, standing in a park of about 50 acres, and surrounded by beautiful pleasure grounds. The house was built by William Bamburgh, Esq., who is said to have brought a large quantity of the stone used in its erection from the ruins of Kirkham Abbey.
LEPPINGTON is another township in this parish, containing 1,182 acres, solely the property of Lady Mary Vyner, who is also lady of the manor. The rateable value is £978, and the population 68. The tithe amounting to £243 belongs to the rector.
The manor was anciently held by the Melsa or Meaux family, and subsequently by the Careys, one of whom was created Baron Carey of Leppington, in 1626, but the title became extinct in 1661. They had a castellated mansion here, the site of which may be traced near the church by the unevenness of the ground.
The village is small and stands about eight-and-a-half-miles south of Malton. The chapel-of-ease was rebuilt in 1803, and restored in 1870, at the joint expense of Lady Mary G. Vyner and the later rector of Scrayingham. It is a plain edifice consisting of nave, vestry, south porch, and western bell turret. The Wesleyans have also a place of worship here, erected in 1867, at a cost of £120. There is also a small school, built by Lady Mary G. Vyner, in 1862, by whom, and the rector of Scrayingham, it is supported. It is attended by a dozen children.
Leppington is in the Malton Union and County Court district, and in the Leavening division for the election of a County Councillor.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.