[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"SCULCOATES, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, an ancient village, 1½ mile N. of Hull, on the west bank of the river Hull; and contained, not a century ago, only 100 inhabitants, but at present contains 10,449. The southern part of the parish adjoining the town of Hull, is now formed into extensive streets, since the formation of the dock in 1774, and cannot be distinguished by a stranger from the town of Hull, properly so called; it is, however, in the county of York, and the petty sessions are held in a hall erected a few years ago, Jonas Brown Esq. is the only resident magistrate, but some of the East Riding magistrates attend weekly. The church is in the old village, and was rebuilt in 1760; it is dedicated to St. Mary, the King is the patron, and the Rev. William Preston, vicar. Near the Sessions hall, and in the populous part of the parish, has this year been erected a new church, called Christ church, for which an act of parliament was obtained in 1814, vesting the presentation in the then subscribers of £100., and their survivors, when reduced to eight in number, who, with the vicar of Sculcoates, are the patrons. It is a very handsome structure, with a square tower of white brick and Roche Abbey stone, in the pointed style of the time of Henry IV. aera 1400. It will contain 1300 persons, 500 of whom are provided with free sittings. The whole cost was about £7000 part of which is not yet subscribed, the incumbent is the Rev. John King, M. A. who liberally advanced the sum necessary to complete the building, taking the chance of the sale of seats in return. On the 26th of September, 1822, this church received consecration from the Archbishop of York. Sculcoates can boast of a higher antiquity than Hull, being mentioned in Domesday book as one of the lordships of Ralph de Mortimer, who was one of the fortunate adventurers that accompanied the Conqueror from Normandy, and was lord of several manors hereabouts."
"STEPNEY, 2 houses in the parish of Sculcoates, and wapentake of Harthill; ¼ mile WSW. of Sculcoates, 1 mile N. of Hull.
The house called Stepney House, stands upon the boundary line of the townships of Cottingham and Sculcoates."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]