Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: SEATON ROSS. Church dedication: ST. EDMUND. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Area, 3,380 acres. Harthill wapentake. Holme Beacon. -Population, 436 ; Church-room, 250 *2; Net value, £93. -The Lords Mauley held four carucates and six oxgangs of land in Seaton, whereof the Prior of Ellerton held six oxgangs in frankalmoigne, in Mesne, from John de Hotham.
And the Templars had ten oxgangs. German Hoy held two oxgangs of John de Melsa, and he of Mauley.
And Remigius de Pokelington held half a carucate by mesne of William de Greystoke, and he of Mauley.
Patron and impropriator, W. C. Maxwell, Esq.
Archbishop Sharp speaks of this parish as a Chapelry to Aughton.
Valued in 1707, at £38. 6s.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 369, at £80 per annum, and stated to be " in the hands of the Commonwealth ;" -and in 1818, at £48 per annum.
Augmented in 1825, with £1,200 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.
4th August 1789, a faculty was granted to contract the dimensions of the Chancel.
An Inclosure Act was passed 51st Geo. III.
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, being " a very small bad house ;" and returned " unfit," in 1834.
The Register Books commence in 1653 ; wanting for 1721 and 1722. -Vide transcripts at York.
Thomas Tindall's rent charge, by will. 10s. per annum to the poor at Whitsuntide and Christmas.
Philip Buttle's rent charge, by will. 10s. per annum to the poor.
William Walker's rent charge, by will. 10s. per annum to the poor upon Candlemas-day.
Wood's dole, vide Pocklington. 3s. 4d. per annum.
William Clarke's charity, by will, about 1675. The interest of £5, given at Whitsuntide amongst the most needy and deserving poor. -Vide 11th Report, page 743.
Post town: Pocklington.
Torre's MS., page 1225. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. pages 19. 252. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Sewn), pages 12. 77. 181. Burton's Monasticon, page 383.
*1 King of the East Angles ; murdered in 870.
*2 In 1818, stated at 500.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.