SEATON ROSS: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"SEATON ROSS, a parish in the Holme-Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, East Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Pocklington, its post town, and 2½ from Holme railway station. The village, which is much scattered, is situated near the canal, and is chiefly agricultural. There are some brick kilns, also two corn-mills. The soil is of a sandy nature, with a subsoil of clay and sand. The land is divided in nearly equal proportions between arable and pasture, with some woodland and common. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £93. The church, dedicated to St. Edmund, has a tower containing one bell. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. A court-leet is held yearly by W. C. Maxwell, Esq., who is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013