Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: SHERBURN. Church dedication: IN HARFORD LYTHE. -ST. HILDA. Church type: Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 4,630 acres. Buckrose wapentake. - Population, 536 ; Church-room, 250; Net value, £120. -The Church of Sherburne, in Harford Lythe, was given by Peter de Morde-villa to the Priory of Gisburne, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein. The ordination is not given by Torre. The first Vicar named in his list was instituted in 1280.
The advowson is in the hands of the Stricklands, who first presented in 1617.
The present patron is Sir Geo. Strickland, Bart.
Impropriator, the Hon. M. Langley.
In Pope Nicholas's first taxation, the Church is valued at £16, which in the new taxation is reduced to £10. 13s. 4d., and the Vicarage is valued in the first taxation at £6. 13s. 4d.; in the King's Books, the Vicarage at £6. 0s. 2d.; Synodals 4s., Procurations 7s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 428, the Vicarage at £20, and the parsonage at £100.
Augmented in 1780, with £200; in 1795, with £200; and in 1824, with £400 from the Parliamentary grant-all by lot *1.
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as fit for residence ; but the return in 1834 was " unfit for residence."
The Register Books commence in 1653.
Thomas Butery's gift. Interest of £25 given at Easter and Christmas, among the most necessitous poor and those having the largest families. At the time of the Report, it was the practice for the overseers to hold the money at four per cent. interest.
Rev. James Nelson's gift. Interest of two guineas, to be given among such of the poor as receive the sacrament at Easter and Whitsuntide.
Church land, 8a. 0r. 30p. Rent applied from time immemorial to the repairs of the Church. -Vide 9th Report, page 718.
Post town: Scarborough.
Torre's MS. page 795. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. ii. page 130. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Scireburne,) pages 48. 203. Burton's Monast. pages 239. 352.
*1 It is not clear whether these were all made to this parish, or to Sherburn in Elmet.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.