SHERBURN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"SHERBURN, a parish in the wapentake of BUCKROSE, East riding of the county of YORK, 11 miles E.N.E. from New Malton, containing 496 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £6. 0. 2., endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Sir W. Strickland, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Hilda. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]