SHERBURN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"SHERBURN, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 9 miles S.W. of Scarborough, its post town, and 1 mile from its station on the Scarborough and Malton line of railway. The village, which is of large extent, is situated near the river Derwent, and is chiefly agricultural. The land is principally arable, with a small proportion of pasture and woodland. An extensive trade is done in brewing and malting. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £120. The church, dedicated to St. Hilda, is an ancient stone structure, with part of a former tower, containing one bell. The interior of the church contains a stone font of great antiquity, also a marble monument to M. Rivis, Esq., of this parish. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, in which a Sunday-school is held. Viscount Downe is lord of the manor. A statute fair for the hiring of servants is held in the second week of November."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013