Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: SIGGLESTHORNE.     Church dedication: ST. LAWRENCE.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 5,380 acres. Holderness wapentake, N.D. -Population, 578 *1; Church-room, 200 *2; NET Value, £685. -There was a Church and a priest at Sigglesthorne at the time of Domesday Survey.

The Church was anciently of the patronage of the Archbishop of York, and of the jurisdiction of the Church of Beverley, but now in the Crown, and the patronage is exercised by the Prime Minister.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £28. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, at £31. 1s. 1d. per annum, after deducting for Pension to the Provost of Beverley, 60s., Thraves, £3. 8s. 10d., Procurations, 10s., Pension, £3. 6s. 8d., Deacon, £1. 6s. 8d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 295, it is stated : " Parsonage, house, cottage, three closes, and four oxgangs of land, worth £8 per annum ; tithes, £150. Great Hatfield had formerly a Church or Chapel. There are now demanded out of this Rectory thirteen quarters and two bushels of wheat, but this payment is questionable."

3rd January 1814, a faculty was granted to take away a cottage belonging to the Rectory.

An Inclosure Act was passed 12th Geo. III.

An inclosure of the open lands at Seaton took place in 1657, and an agreement was made with the then Rector for a money payment in lieu of tithes. This was 'altered about 1724, and two shillings per acre was fixed; but in 1791 the Rector claimed and recovered tithes in kind. The estates of Sir Robert Constable at Catfoss also formerly rendered similar money payments, which were also set aside in' 1791.

Jurisdiction. In the diocese of York. -Vide Beverley.

The glebe house is fit for residence. It was rebuilt under a faculty, dated 31st March 1767, by the Rev. Charles Constable, the Rector, who expended above £2,000, including rebuilding the Chancel.

The Register Books commence in 1562.

Charities:
Marmaduke Constable, Esq.'s charity, for education, by will, dated 17th January 1810. Dividends on £352. 1s. 4d. new four per cents., for educating fifteen poor children of both sexes, sent from the different townships in the parish, to be nominated by the proprietor of Wassand, and in failure thereof, by the Rector of Sigglesthorne 20s., part of the interest, to be expended in books annually, and the remainder to the schoolmaster, for instructing the children in reading, writing, and arithmetic.

TOWNSHIP OF SEATON AND WASSAND.

Doles. -William Hopper's and Thomas and Mary Egglerton's charities, by will and deed, dated respectively 1st October 1658, and 8th April 1676. Rents-charge of 4s. each per annum for poor widows of the township at Christmas, by the overseers.

The Whinn Common Land. This consists of 2a. 3r. of land, which was anciently appropriated to the use of the poor, for supplying them with fuel, the land being covered with whinns and furze, which is conveyed by back loads, and not otherwise, by the poor of the townships.

TOWNSHIP OF GREAT HATFIELD.

William Day's charity. rent charge of £2 per annum for the most needful and deserving poor of the township, by the overseer. -Vide 9th Report, page 774.

Post town: Hornsea.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 253. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 148. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Siglestorne), pages 60; (Catefos), 181. 243; (Seton), 181. Burton's Monasticon, pages 119. 386.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Catfoss, 54 ; Little Hatfield, 32 ; Seaton, 288; and Sigglesthorne, 204 (exclusive of that part of Great Hatfield which is within this parish). -In 1834, the population was returned at 572.

*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 400.


Other information:
EAST HATFIELD. -There was formerly a Chapel here, according to Mr. Torre, which had right of sepulture.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.