Hide

SIGGLESTHORNE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"SIGGLESTHORNE, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Catfoss, Little Hatfield, Seaton, and Sigglesthorne, and containing 538 inhabitants, of which number, 163 are in the township of Sigglesthorne, 10 miles E.N.E. from Beverley. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £31. 1. 3., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence. Marmaduke Constable, in 1810, gave £200 to be applied for the education of poor children: the annual income is £16. 15., and fifteen are instructed."


"CATFOSS, a township in the parish of SIGGLESTHORNE, northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles E.N.E. from Beverley, containing 49 inhabitants."


"GREAT HATFIELD, a township partly in the parish of SIGGLESTHORNE, but chiefly in that of MAPPLETON, northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 11 miles N.E. from Beverley, containing 127 inhabitants."


"LITTLE HATFIELD, a township in the parish of SIGGLESTHORNE, northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 10 miles E.N.E. from Beverley, containing 25 inhabitants."


"SEATON, a township in the parish of SIGGLESTHORNE, northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 10 miles E.N.E. from Beverley, containing 301 inhabitants. A place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists was erected by subscription, in 1810."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]