[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SKERNE, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 2½ miles SSE. of Driffield. The church living here is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of R. Arkwright, Esq. and the Rev. Thomas Ibbotson is the incumbent. Pop. 251."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 70 gravestones and plaques at Skerne with linked surname index.
- Here is a photograph of St. Leonard's Church, Skerne.
- Transcript of the entry for Skerne in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Skerne.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Skerne to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA045553 (Lat/Lon: 53.983198, -0.407901), Skerne which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- A transcription of the School Timetables, around 1902-3 in Adobe pdf format.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish