[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SKIPSEA, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 9 miles S. of Bridlington. The church is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph); the Rev. Joseph Lowes is vicar, and the Archbishop of York is the patron. A ghost, of very ancient date, the wife of Drugo de Brueres, murdered by her husband, in the reign of William the Conqueror, is said to haunt the villa to this day Population, 29.
At this place was an ancient castle, built by Drugo de Bruerer, a Fleming, the first Lord of Holderness after the conquest, who accompanied William into England, and being skilful and courageous in arms, was rewarded with this estate, as well as the hand of his niece in marriage; but, she being poisoned by him, he was obliged to fly for his life, and his estates given to Stephen, the son of Edo, Earl of Albemarle, in Normandy. No remains of the building are now to be seen, but in the middle of the marsh, which separates Skipsea from Skipsea Brough, is an artificial Mound of a circular form, and considerable height, on the top of which may be traced, the foundations of an ancient castle or tower. This mound still retains the name of Castle-Hill. --Camden. -Magna. Brit. --Archaeol."
"BONWICK, in the parish of Skipsea, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1¼ miles S. of Skipsea, 4 miles NNW. of Hornsea. Pop. 30."
"DRINGHOE, (or Drinkow) in the parish of Skipsea, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1 mile W. of Skipsea, 9 miles E. of Driffield. Population, including Skipsea, Brough, and Upton, 164."
"SKIPSEA BROUGH, in the parish of Skipsea, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; ¼ mile WSW. of Skipsea, 9 miles S. of Bridlington. Pop included with Dringhoe & Upton."
"ULROME, in the parish of Skipsea, and wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1¼ miles N. of Skipsea, 6½ miles NNW. of Hornsea. Here is a Chapel of Ease (see Churches for photograph), of a very ancient structure, and the incumbent is the Rev. John Gilby, rector of Barmston. Population, 170.
That part of Ulrome which is in the parish of Skipsea, bury in that church, and pay towards the repairs of the same, one fourth. According to Bacon, it is a vicarage endowed and discharged, valued at 3L. 19s. 2d."
"UPTON, in the parish of Skipsea, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1¾ miles WSW. of Skipsea, 11 miles SSW. of Bridlington. Pop. included with Skipsea Brough."
- Photographs of over 90 gravestones at Skipsea parish Church with linked surname index.
- Photographs of over 200 gravestones at Skipsea Cemetery with linked surname index.
- Photographs of over 85 gravestones and plaques at Ulrome Church with linked surname index.
- Colin Hinson has transcribed the Skipsea Cemetery Burial Register with links to the above Cemetery photos.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Skipsea to another place.
- Between 1823 and 1892 the township of Ulrome (in this parish) became a parish in its own right. See Ulrome Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA168550 (Lat/Lon: 53.977873, -0.22054), Skipsea which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Green Monumental Plaque in All Saints Church, Skipsea
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish