[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SKIPWITH, a parish in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, and liberty of Howdenshire; 5½ miles NNE. of Selby. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Helen, of which the King is the patron. The Rev. Joseph Nelson, vicar of Skipwith, also left £400. in the 3 per cent. consolidated annuities. Pop, 315.
Here is a school founded and endowed by Dorothy Wilson, Spinster of York, by will, dated Jan. 20, 1710, the property now is worth £20. per annum. The Rev. Joseph Wilson, the late vicar, left 400L. to this school, the interest of which to be applied to the education of the poor of the parish. The present salary for the Master is 20L. arising out of lands at Skipwith Holmes, originally for 10, now 14 boys."
"NORTH DUFFIELD, in the parish of Skipwith, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, and liberty of Howdenshire; 1¾ miles ESE. of Skipwith, 6 miles NE. of Selby. Pop. 433."
- Here are photographs of Churches and Chapels in the parish:
- Phil Draper has photographs, and historical and architectural information on his web page for the Churches of St. Helen's at Escrick and Skipwith.
- Transcript of the entry for Skipwith in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Here is a photograph of The Village and green, Skipwith.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Skipwith to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE662385 (Lat/Lon: 53.838543, -0.995463), Skipwith which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE657388) Little Skipwith
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish