The Ancient Parish of SKIRPENBECK
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SKIRPENBECK, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose, and liberty of St. Peter's; 6 miles NW. of Pocklington. There is no place of worship at this place except the parish church (see Churches for photograph), which is a rectory, in the gift. of the King, of which the Rev. William Dealtry, is incumbent. Population 263."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of over 110 gravestones in Skirpenbeck Churchyard with a surname index.
- Here is a photograph of St. Mary's Church, Skirpenbeck.
- Transcript of the entry for Skirpenbeck in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Skirpenbeck.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Skirpenbeck to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE746570 (Lat/Lon: 54.003648, -0.863331), Skirpenbeck which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish