SKIRPENBECK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake of Buckrose - Electoral Division of Bishop Wilton - Petty Sessional Division of Wilton Beacon - Poor Law Union, County Court District, and Rural Deanery of Pocklington - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish contains 1,606 acres of land, lying on the east bank of the Derwent, between the parishes of Scrayingham and Catton. Loam, sand, and clay constitute the soil, which rests on a subsoil of gravel and shale; and the chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, and beans. The rateable value is £2,073, and the number of inhabitants in 1891 was 149. Henry Darley, Esq., who is also lord of the manor; the executors of W. J. Ware, Esq., York; the feoffees of All Saints, York, and the Rev. J. H. Berry, in right of his glebe, are the landowners.
The village is long and straggling, and stands a little north of the York and Bridlington road, seven miles north-west of Pocklington, 10 miles north-east of York, and three miles from Stamford Bridge station, on the York and Market Weighton branch of the North-Eastern railway. A beck flows through the parish, a little west of the village, to the Derwent, and from this stream the place receives its name. The church is an ancient edifice of stone, with rough-cast walls, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and a west tower of brick, containing two bells. The old piscina remains in the south wall of the chancel, and on the opposite side is a monument to a member of the Paget family, dated 1636, exhibiting the half-length figures of a man and wife and their two children. The font is ancient and circular. The nave is seated with old-fashioned high-backed box pews, and in the north-east corner stands an antiquated pulpit, ascended by seven steps, with platform and desk for the clerk midway. The communion table and rails are old and of carved oak. The interior walls are covered with plaster, as is also the low ceiling. The register dates from the year 1660. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value £270, including 135 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. J. H. Berry.
There is a small school in the village, attended by 28 or 30 children.
In a field on the north side of the church are the remains of some entrenchments, supposed to have been thrown up by one of the contending armies at the battle of Stamford Bridge. Similar remains are also to be seen in a field opposite the farmhouse occupied by Mr. John Hughes.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.