Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: SLEDMERE.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 6,650 acres. Buckrose wapentake. -- Population, 480 *1; Church-room, 388 *2; Net value, no return. -" This parish," says Abp. Sharp, " was originally a Chapelry in the parish of Grindalyth, and was with it appropriated to the Priory of Kirkham ; it yet owns some dependence on it, the keys of the Chapel being every St. Andrew's day carried to the Church of Grindalyth and laid upon the altar, upon the delivery of which back the churchwardens pay half-a-crown to the minister by way of acknowledgment. The minister of Grindalyth hath also all the mortuaries within this Chapelry, and also half-a-crown payable at Easter from the impropriator, and a certain proportion of the offerings."

"The impropriation is now in the hands of Mr. Roper, of Escrick, and another ; they allow but £8 per annum for the service of it; so that it is with much difficulty that a Curate is got ; at the present Mr. Leech comes now and then, but is weary of it."

Patron, Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £10. 13s. 4d.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 437, at " £10, paid by the impropriators ;" and in 1818, at £32. 15s. per annum.

Augmented in 1741, with £200; in 1781, with £200; and in 1810, with £200 from the Parliamentary grant-all by lot.

An Inclosure Act was passed 15th Geo. III.

28th June 1755, a faculty was granted to rebuild the Church.

No glebe house in 1818. No return in 1834.

The Register Books commence in 1696. No entries of marriages for the years 1713, 1714, 1716, 1717, 1719, 1720, 1726, 1727, 1728, 1731, 1735, 1736, 1738, 1740, 1744, and 1747. -See transcripts at York.

Charities:
William Taylor's rent charge, by will, in 1663. 40s. per annum to the pools upon Christmas eve.

Poor's Stock. The sum of £89, part of £100 given in the year 1812, by Mr. Edward Rousby, was laid out in the following year, in the purchase of £100 stock, late navy fives, in the names of John Dickenson and others, the then churchwardens and overseers, now £105 new four per cents.; £9, the balance, after purchase of the stock and expenses thereon, was left at interest in the hands of the overseers, and the money was passed to Mr. Robert King as overseer, who stated that he paid it to his successor in office, Mr. John Topham, at Easter 1817 ; but the latter denied having received the money. The Commissioners state that they are inclined to believe that the money had been paid by Mr. King, but as he had no evidence of the fact to produce, they apprehended he was still liable in law to the parish, for both principal and interest. -Vide 10th Report, page 652.

A post town.


References:
Not noticed by Torre. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 131. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Ledemere, Sledemere,) pages 38. 84. 219; (Crogun,) pages 33. 48. 84. 123. 237. Burton's Monast., pages 336, 376.


Notes:
*1 Sledmere with Croom.

*2 As per return in 1818 (the whole parish). No return in 1834.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.