SLEDMERE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"SLEDMERE, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 3 miles from the Fimber and Sledmere station, on the Driffield and Matton branch of the North-Eastern railway, and 12 S.E. of Matton, its post town. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on the old Roman way from York. The parish includes the hamlet of Croome. A pack of harriers is kept in the neighbourhood. The land is divided between arable, meadow, and sheep-walks. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a square tower with three bells. The interior of the church contains monuments of the Sykes and Masterman families. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. Near the church stands Sledmere Hall. Sir T. Sykes, Bart., is lord of the manor."
"CROOM, a hamlet in the parish of Sledmere, in the East Riding of the county of York, 7 miles N.W. of Great Driffield."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013