The Ancient Parish of SOUTH CAVE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SOUTH CAVE, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; 7 miles SSE. of Market Weighton; 9 from Beverley; 12 from Hull; and 28 from York; situated in a hollow, from which probably it derives its name, is a small market and post-town, in the division of Hunsley Beacon, and at the western foot of the Wolds, in a very pleasant tract of country, about three miles from the river Humber. The parish is very extensive, and comprehends the townships of South Cave, Broomfleet, Faxfleet, and Osmandyke, and is bounded on the south, for a very considerable way, by the Humber. The church is a plain and neat edifice (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to All Saints, the Rev. E. W. Barnard vicar and patron, built, as appears by an inscription in the inside, in the year 1601. There is a National School, Robert Sharp, master. The market is held every Monday, at which a great quantity of corn is sold, and sent by the Humber and its branches to Leeds, Wakefield and the other populous towns of the West Riding, in vessels, which bring back coals, lime, flags, free stone, and various other articles. Near this town is Cave castle, now the seat and principal residence of Henry Barnard, Esq. The mansion house is a large and noble structure, ornamented with a number of turrets, battlements, buttresses, &c. which give it an air of magnificence. The embellishments of the interior correspond with the grandeur of the exterior. It contains many spacious and elegant apartments, with a very select and valuable collection of pictures by the best masters: among these is a portrait of the late celebrated General George Washington, the founder of the American Republic, whose great-grandfather, John Washington, lived here and possessed part of the estate; but emigrated from hence to America about the year 1657, and settled at Bridges eek, in the county of Westmoreland, in Virginia, where the family has ever since remained. Population, 885."
"BROOMFLEET, in the parish of South Cave, wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter; 3½ miles SW. of South Cave. Population, 142."
"FAXFLEET, in the parish of South Cave, wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; 5¾ miles SW. of South Cave. Pop. 163."
"MOUNT AIREY, in the parish of South Cave, liberty of St. Peter, and wapentake of Harthill; ½ mile E. of South Cave."
"PROVENCE, in the parish of South Cave, liberty of St. Peter, and wapentake of Harthill; 3 miles SW. of South Cave."
"WEEDLEY, in the parish of South Cave, and wapentake of Harthill 2½ miles E. of South Cave."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 65 gravestones at South Cave churchyard with linked surname index.
- Photographs of the over 830 gravestones at South Cave cemetery with linked surname index.
- Photographs of the over 210 gravestones and plaques at Broomfleet with linked surname index (inclcuding the Churchyard Extension).
- The Subscription plaque in St. Mary's Church, Broomfleet.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- All Saints' Church, South Cave - view 1. (The Church's website is here.)
- All Saints' Church, South Cave - view 2.
- The United Reformed Church, South Cave. The Chapel was founded in 1662 and rebuilt in 1873.
- The Primitive Methodist Chapel, South Cave, founded in 1877.
- St. Mary's Church, Broomfleet.
- St. Mary's Church, Broomfleet. Is the tree more valuable than the Church? One or the other needs to go!
- The former Primitive Methodist Chapel, Broomfleet.
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of South Cave.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from South Cave to another place.
- In 1861 the townships of Broomfleet and Faxfleet were detached from this parish to form a parish in their own right, see Broomfleet Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE923312 (Lat/Lon: 53.768976, -0.601127), South Cave which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish