Wapentake of Harthill (South Hunsley Beacon Division) - County Council Electoral Division of South Cave - Petty Sessional Division of South Hunsley Beacon - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Beverley - Rural Deanery of Howden - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish, which formerly included the township of Bromfleet and Faxfleet, on the Humber estuary, consists of the township of its own name, containing an area of 4,337 acres (assessable area, 4,200 acres), belonging chiefly to Charles Edward Gee Barnard, Esq., J.P., who is lord of the manor, Cave Castle; George Gladstone Macturk, Esq., Ryeland Hill, South Cave; and W. H. Harrison-Broadley, Esq., J.P., D.L. The rateable value is £9,183, and the population in 1891 was 949. The soil is clay, sand, and loam; and the chief crops, wheat, beans, oats, and potatoes.
The Washington family were formerly landowners in the parish, and are supposed to have resided here, whence about the year 1657, Sir John Washington emigrated to America, and was the great grandfather of George Washington, the first president of the United States.
The Roman road, which crossed the Humber at Brough ferry, passed through South Cave, and recently a very interesting Roman relic was discovered in the immediate vicinity. A young man was ploughing in a field a few hundred yards from the site of this old road, when his plough encountered something, through which the horses could not drag the plough. Upon removing the soil a "pig" of lead was found, standing in a perpendicular position, measuring 20½ inches long by 4 or 4½ inches square. On one side of it is the following inscription, in well-preserved uncial letters, C. IVL. PROTI. BRIT. LVT. EX. ARG. This lead, the inscription tells us, was cast from a silver-bearing vein by Caius Julius Proti.
The town of South Cave is small, but pleasantly situated on the banks of a small stream, at the western foot of the Wolds. It is distant about two-and-a-half miles from the river Humber, eight miles south-by-east from Market Weighton, nine miles south-west from Beverley, 12 from Hull; one mile from South Cave station, on the Hull, Barnsley, and West Riding Junction railway; and three from Brough station, on the Hull and Selby branch of the North-Eastern railway. A charter was granted to Peter Dayryll in 1279, by Edward I., empowering him to hold in his manor of South Cave, a weekly market, on Monday, and one fair yearly, to be held on the eve, the day, and the morrow of the feast of the Holy Trinity. The market has been abandoned, but a fair for cattle, sheep, and horses is held on Trinity Monday and Tuesday, another on the second Monday after Michaelmas day. The latter was established in 1831. The town is governed by a Local Board of 12 members, formed in 1871, under "The Local Government Act of 1853."
The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south transept, south porch, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing three bells. The church, with the exception of the tower, was restored in 1601. The south transept, formerly a chapel, "was repaired at the proper cost and charges of the Right Worshipful Henrie Garwaie, Esq., Alderman of the Cittie of London, Anno. Dom. 1633;" and, in 1848, it was re-built by the late George Baron, Esq., owner of Faxfleet estate. The chancel was re-built in 1847, by Henry Gee Barnard, Esq., patron and impropriator; and in 1859 the aisle was restored, and a stained-glass window placed at the west end, in memory of the Rev. Herbert Freeman Inman, M.A., vicar of the parish. In the north-east corner of the nave is the tomb of Richard Harrison, Esq., lord of the manor, who died in 1682. There are also two old tombstones, but the inscriptions they once bore are quite illegible, with the exception of the dates 1562 and 1694. There are several tablets to the memory of members of the Barnard family. A square font, believed to be of Saxon date, is preserved in the church. There is sitting accommodation for 350. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value, £230, derived from tithes, 42½ acres of glebe, Ecclesiastical Commissioners' grant, endowment, &c., in the gift of Charles Edward Gee Barnard, Esq., J.P., and held by the Rev. Thomas Hugh McDougall, M.A., of St. John's College, Oxford.
The Congregational chapel was built in 1873, on the site of the old one, at a cost of £790. It is in the Romanesque style of architecture, built of red brick, with dressings of Ancaster stone - black brick being used in the arches and string courses. The entrance doorway is the main feature of the principal front, having moulded caps, carved tympanum, and a moulded stone label, terminating with a scroll, under the gabled coping. The interior of the building is lighted by eight semi-circular headed windows, with moulded transoms. The architect was Mr. S. Musgrave, Asso. R.I.B.A., Hull. The congregation dates from 1662, when the Rev. James Baycock, a Presbyterian,was ejected from the vicarage of South Cave by the Act of Uniformity, for refusing episcopal ordination. He had many sympathisers in the parish, to whom he continued to minister in a building that had previously been used as a tithe-barn. Subsequently the congregation passed through various phases of religious belief, and in 1773 adopted Independency. For a time they were ministered to by a clergyman of very decided Arian views; ultimately they became, and continue, Congregationalists.
The Wesleyan chapel dates from 1816. It is a large plain building of brick, with accommodation for 400. The Primitive Methodist chapel is a neat edifice, built, in lieu of an older one, at a cost of £806. The foundation-stone was laid by T. Leaper Dennis, on the 25th of October, 1876.
A Temperance Hall was erected in 1856, and a Church Institute in 1844. The latter is used for entertainments.
The market-house, called the Market Cross, was built in 1796. It is a brick structure, with an arcade below, and surmounted by a clock tower, in which a new clock was placed in 1887, at a cost of £160, in commemoration of Her Majesty's Jubilee. In the upper portion of the building is held the Boys' school. There is accommodation for 120, and an average attendance of 65. The Girls' school is a good building of stone, with teacher's house attached, erected in 1866, for the accommodation of 110 children; average attendance about 60. The school is chiefly supported by Mrs. Barnard.
A new Cemetery, containing a little over an acre, was formed in 1873, and a neat mortuary chapel erected. It is under the control of a Burial Board of seven members.
Cave Castle the seat of Charles Edward Gee Barnard, Esq., J.P., is a large and elegant mansion of white brick, in the modern Gothic style. It is surmounted by a battlemented parapet, and around are disposed a number of turrets and buttresses. Over the back entrance is the coat of arms of the Danbys, former owners of the manor, and the date 1580. Surrounding the mansion is a small but beautiful park, with large pleasure-grounds and gardens.
Ryeland Hill, the residence of George Gladstone Macturk, Esq., is a modern mansion of brick, commanding a fine view.
Weedley, about three miles east of the village, is the residence of Mr. John Danby; and Mount Airy is another farm, one mile east of the village, in the occupation of Mr. Tom Dennis.
Charities. - Mr. Samuel Jobson, about the year 1700, left certain premises in Brantingham for a sermon yearly and the benefit of the poor, in certain specified proportions. The income now amounts to £90 a year, part of which is given to the vicar, part is applied to church expenses, and part to the relief of the poor. This charity is vested in 14 trustees, who meet quarterly for the distribution of the income. The late Mrs. Elizabeth Mary Barnard, by will dated Dec. 27th, 1871, left £1,000, less legacy duty, in the two-and-three-quarter per cents, for the benefit of poor and deserving widows. The income - about £25 per annum - is distributed by the vicar and churchwardens.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.