[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SPROATLEY, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 5 miles N. of Hedon. There is here a handsome new church (see Churches for photograph), built in 1819, of white brick, and dedicated to All Saints, it is built upon the site of the old edifice, which was dedicated to St. Swithin. The rector is the Rev. Charles Wapshaw, and the patron the Earl of Cardigan. Here is likewise a Charity school for ten poor boys and ten girls, built in the year 1739, and endowed by Mrs, Bridget Briggs, with £100. per annum out of the rents of land near Sheffield. In digging the foundation for the new church, in 1819, some very ancient tomb stones were found, one of which had an inscription on the side of a crozier, in Saxon characters. Population, 357."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Sproatley in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Sproatley.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sproatley to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA193346 (Lat/Lon: 53.794043, -0.190374), Sproatley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1914-1919 War Memorial in the Churchyard.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish