SPROATLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"SPROATLEY, a parish in the Middle division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles E.N.E. from Kingston upon Hull, containing 357 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £7.0. 10., and in the patronage of the Earl of Cardigan. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was built in 1819, upon the site of the old edifice, which was dedicated to St. Swithin: it is of white brick, principally in the later style of English architecture, and has lately received an addition of one hundred free sittings, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £150 towards defraying the expense. In laying the foundation of the church some antique tombstones were found, one of them bearing a Saxon inscription. There is a place of worship forWesleyan Methodists. Bridget Biggs, in 1733, gave an estate for the erection and support of a school for twenty children, and for apprenticing them: the income is about £90 per annum, for which sixteen boys and fifteen girls are educated and apprenticed."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]