SPROATLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"SPROATLEY, a parish in the middle division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of Hull, its post town, and 3½ N. of Hedon railway station. The village is situated on the Hull and Aldborough turnpike road, and is chiefly agricultural. A police station was erected in 1840, where the magistrates meet once a month. The soil is of a clayey nature. The Constable hounds meet in this parish. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £230. The church, dedicated to St. Swithin, has a tower and two bells; it was rebuilt in 1820. The parochial charities produce about £111, which go chiefly to Biggs's free school. There is also a Sunday-school. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Sir T. A. C. Constable is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013