The Ancient Parish of STILLINGFLEET
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"STILLINGFLEET, (with Moreby,) a parish in the wapentake of Ouse & Derwent, a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 7 miles S. of York. The church is dedicated to St Helen (see Churches for photograph) the Dean & Chapter of York are patrons. Pop. 404."
"KELFIELD, in the parish of Stillingfleet, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent; 1½ miles S. of Stillingfleet, 6 miles N. of Selby. Here is a public school for the benefit of the poor children of this township, endowed with an annual income of £21. 6s. per annum. Population, 286."
"MOREBY, (the seat of the Rev. Thomas Preston) in the parish of Stillingfleet, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent; 1½ miles N. of Stillingfleet, 5½ miles S. of York. The lordship of John Lord Gray, of Rotherfield, which was with his other estates seized by the king in the 6th of Edward III., for his quarrelling with Lord Zouch, and drawing his dagger in the king's presence, but upon his submission he was afterwards restored to favour, and soon after employed in the wars with Scotland. Pop. included with Stillingfleet."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 350 gravestones in Stillingfleet Churchyard with a linked surname index.
- Here are two photographs of Stillingfleet Church:
- St. Helen's Church, Stillingfleet (view 1).
- St. Helen's Church, Stillingfleet (view 2).
- St. Helen's Church, Stillingfleet (view 3).
- The Methodist Church, Stillingfleet.
- The former Wesleyan Chapel, Main street, Kelfield.
- Transcript of the entry for Stillingfleet in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Stillingfleet.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stillingfleet to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE594410 (Lat/Lon: 53.86183, -1.098303), Stillingfleet which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE582397) Kelfield Grange
- (SE606389) Kelfield Lodge
- (SE592385) Moor End
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish