Sutton On Hull
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SUTTON ON HULL, (or Sutton in Holderness) a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 3 miles NNE. of Hull, is a very pleasant village, and one of the country retreats of the merchants and gentry of Hull. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient structure, of which H. Broadley, Esq. is the patron, and the Rev. J. G. Davies is the incumbent curate. Pop. with Stone Ferry, 3658.
The church of Sutton was anciently collegiate, and valued at 13L. 18s. 9d. but dissolved long before Bacon's time, who says, "no such college now." It appears also to have at sometime been a chapel to Waghan; Sir John Sutton, Patron, granted it for the sustenation of six chaplains to say Mass for the King and Queen and himself, his wife, and their souls, when dead: so all the tithes of this place were appropriated to that use.
About the centre of the village is an hospital erected in pursuance of the will of Mr. Leonard Chamberlain, late of this place, for the comfort of eight poor widows, and two widowers, who have each the benefit of a good house and garden, and 3s. per week, this hospital was re-built in 1800, by the trustees of the charity. Near to the above mentioned alms-house, also stands another built chiefly of stone, for the reception of the poor widows and daughters of deceased clergymen, built in 1819, by the trustees of Mrs. Watson late of this place.
In the reign of Edward I. a house for Carmelites or White Friars, was founded here. --Burton."
"CASTLE HILL, in the parish of Sutton on Hull, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1¼ miles NNE. of Sutton on Hull, 4 miles NE. of Hull. Tradition says that a castle once stood on this hill, of which, however, not a vestige is to be seen at present."
"STONE FERRY, a hamlet in the parish of Sutton on Hull, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1 mile SW. of Sutton on Hull, 2 miles N. of Hull. Here is a small Methodist chapel, built in 1821, also an almshouse for the comfort of seven poor widows, or old maids, with the annual allowance of £13. each, established in pursuance of the will (dated 1720) of Ann Waters, late of this place, who also bequeathed £5., annually for the instruction of ten poor girls in reading, writing, and needlework, which is performed by one of the old women in the almshouse, who receives the benefit. Population included with Sutton."
- Sutton & Wawne Museum : a family history centre situated in the Old School, Sutton (select the "Museum" link at the left when you get there).
- Sutton in Holderness: The Manor, The Berewic, and the Village Community, by Thomas Blashill F.R.B.A., published in 1896. Out of print, available on CDrom from Colin Hinson.
- The History of Methodism in Sutton-on-Hull by Joseph Dennis Heald, published in 1993 by J.D.Heald (Softcover). ISBN 0952197308
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. James's Church, Church Street, Sutton on Hull. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Methodist Church, Church Street, Sutton on Hull. (The Church's website is here.)
- St. Mark's Church, Bellfield Avenue, Sutton Ings.
- St. Michael and All Angels' Church, Sutton Ings (if you can see it for the trees!). (The Church's website is here.)
- Kingston Wesley Methodist Church, Sutton Ings. (The Church's website is here.)
- Internal view looking down the aisle
- St. Andrew's Church, Bransholme.
- The Methodist Church, Bransholme. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Independent Evangelical (Bodmin Road) Church, Bransholme. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Roman Catholic Church of Mary Queen of Martyrs, Bransholme. (The Church's website is here.)
- Transcript of the entry for Sutton on Hull in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Sutton on Hull.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sutton On Hull to another place.
- Sutton & Wawne Museum : a family history centre situated in the Old School (select the "Museum" link at the left).
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA117327 (Lat/Lon: 53.778658, -0.306381), Sutton On Hull which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War II Memorial Plaque in St. James's Church, Sutton on Hull.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA103315) Stoneferry
- (TA120317) Sutton Ings
- (TA097323) West Carr
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish