Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: SUTTON ON HULL.     Church dedication: ST. JAMES.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 4,450 acres. Holderness wapentake, M.D. -Population, 4,383 *1; Church-room, 500; Net value, £98. -The family of the Suttons held in this town and Goggestede eleven carucates of land.

This Church was anciently a Chapel in the parish of Wawne, the patron of which, Sir John Sutton, the lord of the town, granted it for the sustentation of six Chaplains, to say mass for the good estate of the King and Queen, and him the said John Sutton and his wife, and for their souls when they should be dead ; and in A.D. 1347, Archbishop Zouch appropriated the Church accordingly, and directed the Cure of the parish to be served by one of the Chaplains.

In 1447, a composition took place, by virtue of which 20s. were to be paid to the inhabitants of Wawne as an acknowledgment of subjection ; and on the 6th August, A.D. 1380, a new ordination, or reformation, of divers statutes in this Chantry was made by Alexander Archbishop of York.

Patron and impropriator, Henry Broadley, Esq.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £13. 6s. 8d.; in 1707, the Living was valued at £10; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 235, it is stated : " Impropriation, worth £140; payment to the minister, £140;" -and in 1818, at £81 per annum.

Augmented in 1742, with £200; in 1772, with £200; in 1802, with £200; in 1812, with £400; in 1813, with £200; and in 1820, with £400 from the Parliamentary grant - all by lot (Query).

4th July 1764, a faculty was granted to cover the roof with slate.

29th July 1785, ditto to erect a gallery.

13th February 1824, ditto to erect additional seats.

An Inclosure Act was passed 3rd Geo. III.

No glebe house.

The Register Books for marriages commence in 1558 -deficient 1605 to 1614 inclusive ; for burials in 1575 -deficient 1603 to 1614; and for baptisms in 1581 -deficient 1605 to 1614.

Charities:
John Marshall's charity, by will, dated 3rd January 1803. Dividends on £136 navy five per cents. for educating ten poor children, boys and girls, under ten years of age, in reading, and when any of them shall have attained their respective ages of ten years, that other poor children of the parish should have the benefit of the charity until they attain the said age. The children to be selected and appointed by the churchwardens.

Ann Watson's charity, vide General Charities. rent charge of £1. 6s. per annum, for sixpennyworth of bread for and among such poor who attend divine service every Sunday.

Unknown rent charge. This is an ancient rent -charge of 20s. per annum, issuing out of John Broadley, Esq.'s farm at Stowferry. It is distributed by the churchwardens, with the sacrament money, at Christmas.

Benjamin and Ann Praed's charities, by wills, dated respectively in 1784 and 1799. rent charge of £2 per annum for the poor, distributed with and similar to the preceding rent charge.

Chamberlaine's charity, vide Separate Report of this charity. £10 per annum for teaching twenty children to read. -Vide 9th Report, page 779.

Post town: Hull.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 501. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 161. Wood's Bodleian MS., No. 5078. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 1474. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Sudtune), vide Index. -It is difficult to identify the various towns which are denominated by this name.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Sutton and Stoneferry. -The parish of Sutton being contiguous to Kingston-upon-Hull, building has greatly increased, and with it the population of 725 persons.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.