Sutton Upon Derwent
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SUTTON UPON DERWENT, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 7 miles ESE. of York. The church dedicated to St. Michael (see Churches for photograph), Sir T. Charges, Bart. is the patron. There is also a Methodist chapel. This village is beautifully situated on the banks of the Derwent, over which there is a good stone bridge, where is a spring strongly impregnated with ferruginous matter. Pop. 400."
"WOODHOUSE, a single house in the parish of Sutton upon Derwent, and wapentake of Harthill; 1¼ miles ENE. of Sutton upon Derwent, 5 miles WSW. of Pocklington."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Sutton upon Derwent in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Sutton upon Derwent.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sutton Upon Derwent to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE708468 (Lat/Lon: 53.912523, -0.923658), Sutton Upon Derwent which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish