Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: SUTTON UPON DERWENT. Church dedication: ST. MICHAEL. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 3,360 acres. Harthill wapentake. Wilton Beacon. -Population, 417 *1 ; Church-room, 400 *2; Net value, £509. -Peter de Malolocu held of the King in capite six carucates of land in Sutton super Derwent, whereof Robert de Percy held three carucates of Mihitine Malore, who held them of Mauley.
The Church was given by Robert de Percy, son of Picot, to the Abbey of Whitby, from which it came to the Mowbrays, of Kirtlington, knights, from them to the Inglebys, thence to the Egglesfields and Vaughans, and then to the Lords Fairfaxes. The Clarges, Baronets, have presented since 1721.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £10. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, at £14. 14s. 6d.; Thraves, 20s.; Synodals and Procurations, 11s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 391, at £100 per annum.
An Inclosure Act was passed 16th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1593 ; deficient for baptisms from 1720 to 1737, and for marriages from 1699 to 1737. -Vide transcripts at York.
Thomas Wilberfoss's gift, who died in 1722. rent charge of 40s. per annum for poor persons not receiving parochial relief, at Easter, Whitsuntide, Michaelmas, and Christmas.
Wood's dole, vide Pocklington. rent charge of 5s. per annum to the poor. -Vide 11th Report, page 744.
Post town: York.
Torre's MS., page 1185. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 28. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Sudtune), pages 48, &c. Burton's Monasticon, pages 70. 76.
*1 The Population, in 1834, was returned at 380.
*2 In 1818, estimated at 500.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.