SUTTON UPON DERWENT: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"SUTTON UPON DERWENT, a parish in the Wilton- Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 65 miles S.W. from Pocklington, containing 400 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of the East riding,-and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £14. 14. 7., and in the patronage of Sir T. Clarges, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The village is pleasantly situated on the banks of the Derwent, which is here crossed by a substantial stone bridge, and near it is a spring strongly impregnated with iron."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]