Hide

SUTTON UPON DERWENT: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"SUTTON UPON DERWENT, a parish in the Wilton Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, East Riding county York, 8 miles S.E. of York, its post town, and 7 S.W. of Pocklington. The village is situated near the canal, at the bridge over the river Derwent. The parish includes the hamlet of Woodhouse. There is an extensive flour mill on the river, also a mineral spring. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £509. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. It was restored in 1841, when a new porch was erected, and in 1846 new stalls were fitted. The register dates from the 15th century. The parochial charities produce about £2 10s. per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, at which a Sunday-school is held. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels. Sutton Hall is the principal residence. Gen. Sir R. G. H. Clarges is lord of the manor."


"WOODHOUSE, a hamlet in the parish of Sutton-upon-Derwent, East Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Pocklington."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013