Hide

SWINE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"SWINE, a parish in the middle division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 6½ miles N.E. of Hull, and 6 N.W. of Hedon. It is a station on the Hull and Hornsea branch of the North-Eastern railway. The village is large. The parish comprises Belton, North and South Skirlaugh, Ellerby, and other townships There was formerly a Cistercian nunnery, founded by Robert de Verli in the reign of Stephen, which at the Dissolution possessed a revenue of £134 6s. 9d., when the site was given to the Greshams. There are traces of a Roman encampment, near which many relics have been discovered: in 1826 a Roman urn was found in a newly ploughed field, containing upwards of 1,000 copper coins. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Skirlaugh annexed, in the diocese of York. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is also a district church at Belton, an ancient Norman structure, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £140; and at Skirlaugh is a chapel-of-ease, built in the 14th century by Walter Skirlaw, Bishop of Durham. The parochial charities produce about £68 per annum, of which £11 go to Langdale's school. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Burton Constable is the principal residence. The Earl of Shaftesbury is lord of the manor."


"ARNOLD, a township in the parishes of Swine and Long Riston, wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 6 miles from Beverley."


"BENNING HOLME, (and Benning Grange) a township in the parish of Swine, wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the E. of Beverley. Benning Grange is the principal residence."


"BILTON, (or Bilton-in-holderness), a chapelry in the parish of Swine, wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N.E. of Hull, its post town. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £145, in the patronage of the lion. P. Dawnay. The church is dedicated to St. Peter."


"CONISTON, a township in the parish of Swine, wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 6 miles N.E. of Hull, its post town. Here is a meet for Sir C. Constable's hounds."


"DOWTHORPE, a hamlet in the township of Ellerby and parish of Swine, in the East Riding of the county of York, 5 miles S. of Hornsea."


"ELLERBY, a township in the parish of Swine, middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Swine, and 6 N. of Hedon. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Woodall, a handsome seat, is the principal residence."


"GANSTEAD, a township in the parish of Swine, middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 1 mile S.E. of Swine, and 4 miles N.E. of Hull. The district is purely agricultural. Turner House and Ganstead Grange are the principal residences."


"GRANGE, a hamlet in the parish of Swine, middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Hornsea. It is united with the township of Benningholme."


"LONGTHORPE, a hamlet in the township of Ellerby and parish of Swine, in the East Riding of county York, 6 miles N. of Hedon, and 7 N.E. of Hull,"


"MARTON, a township in the parish of Swine, middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 10 miles N.E. of Hull, its post town, and 4 N. of Hedon. In the village, which is small and irregularly built, are iron and brass foundries, a machine and plough manufactory, also a corn mill. On a site called Kirkgarth formerly stood the ancient chapel-of-ease, but its remains were used in constructing the bridge across the Lamworth stream. The font was removed to the private chapel at Burton Constable. There is a Roman Catholic chapel, also a school erected and supported by Sir T. A. C. Constable, who is lord of the manor and sole landowner."


"NORTH SKIRLAUGH, a township and chapelry in the parish of Swine, East Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Swine, and 9 N.E. of Hull, its post town. It is a station on the Hull and Hornsea railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on Lambwith Drain, and is chiefly agricultural. The soil is rich and productive. The Skirlaugh union poorhouse is situated in this township. North Skirlaugh is separated from South Skirlaugh by the Lamworth stream. R. Bethell, Esq., of Rise Park, is lord of the manor."


"OUBROUGH, a hamlet in the township of Ellerby, and parish of Swine, East Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Hull, and 5 N. of Hedon."


"ROWTON, a hamlet in the parish of Swine, N. division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 8 miles N.E. of Beverley. It is in conjunction with North Skirlaugh, to form a township"


"SOUTH SKIRLAUGH, a chapelry in the parish of Swine, middle division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 9 miles N.E. of Hull, its post town, and 8 N. of Hedon railway station. The village is situated on the Hull and Hornsea turnpike road, near the Lamworth stream. The soil is of clay. About 1809 several celts, spear-heads, &c., were discovered in a bank. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Swine, in the diocese of York. The church, dedicated to St. Augustine, is an ancient stone structure with a tower, erected in the 14th century by Bishop Walter Skirlaw, of Durham. The interior was restored in 1819. The parochial charities produce about £62 per annum, of which £11 go to Langdale's school, and £10 for apprenticing poor boys. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. Sir T. A. C. Constable is lord of the manor."


"THIRTLEBY, a township in the parish of Swine, middle division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York. 4 miles N. of Headon, and 7 N.E. of Hull."


"WOODALL, a hamlet in the township of Ellerby, and parish of Swine, East Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Hedon."


"WYTON, a township in the parish of Swine, middle division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Hull, and 3 N. of Hedon."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013