The Ancient Parish of THORNTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"THORNTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 4 miles SW. of Pocklington. The Church of Thornton-with-Allerthorpe, peculiar, is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Michael, in the deanry of Harthill, the Rev. James Addison is incumbent and the Dean of York the patron. Pop. 198."
"EASTWOOD, (now Rossmoor Grange and Farm), 2 houses in the parish of Thornton, and wapentake of Harthill; 2 miles W. of Thornton, 6 miles SW. of Pocklington."
"MELBOURNE, in the parish of Thornton, and wapentake of Harthill; (Melbourne House, the seat of Sir Henry Maghull Mervin Vavasour, Bart.) 5 miles SSW. of Pocklington. There is here a chapel for the Wesleyan Methodists, and another for the primitive Methodists. Pop. 437.
This family of Vavasours appears to be a branch of the ancient family of that name, settled at Haslewood, soon after the conquest. The present Sir Henry Maghull Mervin Vavasour succeeded his father, Sir Henry, March 15, 1813 - creation, -March 20, 1801."
"MELBOURNE LODGES, (the seat of General Wharton) in the parish of Thornton, township of Melbourne, 6 miles from Pocklington."
"PARK HOUSE, a farm house in the township of Storthwaite, and parish of Thornton, and wapentake of Harthill; 2¾ miles WSW. of Thornton, 7 miles SW. of Pocklington."
"STORWOOD, in the parish of Thornton, and wapentake of Harthill; 3 miles WSW. of Thornton, 6 miles SW. of Pocklington. Pop. 116."
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish.
- St. Michael's Church, Thornton.
- The former Chapel of unknown denomination, Thornton, founded in 1909 (now a business premises).
- 3 views of St. Monica's Church, Melbourne in January 1999 (then dis-used).
- The former St. Monica's Church in 2007, now a private dwelling (photograph by kind permission of the owners).
- The Methodist Church, Melbourne. (The Church's website is here.)
- Transcript of the entry for Thornton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Thornton.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thornton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE760453 (Lat/Lon: 53.898309, -0.844885), Thornton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- A transcription of the School Timetables, around 1902-3 in Adobe pdf format.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish